Engine / Driveshaftclearances

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine / Driveshaftclearances
From: Alain Gigučre <agig@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 21:16:46 -0400
First question: I just installed the engine in my rebuilt chassis
this week. What is the clearance between the engine pulley and the
rad support/crossmember? 1/2"? 3/4"? And what is the distance at the
back between the valve cover lip and the firewall?

Second question: when the rear springs are installed on an unloaded
chassis, can the driveshaft be bolted on and should it be fully
compressed, or should there still be 1/8" play to be on the safe
side. My thinking is as follows: the rear axle is on the bumps
(bottomed out) as when it has been installed unloaded. the driveshaft
should not be too tight in this position, maybe extended just an
eight so the rear axle never gets to push the engine forward in an
extreme case of suspension travel.

Any advice / opinions?

--
        Alain Giguere