Re: Garage Climate Control

To: Jim LeBlanc <jleblanc@midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Garage Climate Control
From: Alan Schultz <alan@andysnet.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 15:29:39 -0500
Jim,

What you need is a system to remove excess humidity in the garage. That
can only be accomplished if the openings (doors and windows) remain
tightly closed during periods of high humidity. A dehumidifier could be
used to remove humidity but the heat it gives off would be released into
the garage. The garage could become unbearibly warm. If you do any
solvent cleaning, it would need to be done outdoors.since the garage
must remain tight.

The next best alternative is to install an air conditioning unit. Again,
the openings need to remain shut. The advantage to this type unit is
that outdoor air can be introduced into the garage. It is normally a
small amount and not enough to adequately handle solvent cleaning (but
better that a dehumidifier).

If you really want and can afford it is a split system. Most residential
homes are provided with split system air conditioning units. An "A" coil
is added to the furnace with refrigerant piping to a remote condensing
unit. In lieu of a furnace, you would need to have an air handling unit
and the appropriate ductwork to permit opening an outdoor air damper to
make up for solvent fumes which would be drawn out with an exhaust fan.

Several alternatives for your consideration,

Alan S
HBJ8
(Retired Senior Mechanical Engineer with
30 plus years of HVAC experience @ Uof WI)