Re: Fw: wire wheels

To: <rusd@velocitus.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: wire wheels
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:20:35 -0400
Dave, I'm not really biased at all against Dayton wheels. It's a simple
matter of cost and procurement.
There is an excellent dealer for Dunlops here in Southern Ontario less than
an hour away from me. I can pick them up on site and pay with Canadian
dollars. They have not been through a U.S. dollar route whatsoever, having
been imported directly from Motor Wheel Services in the U.K. Problems or
returns are immediate and first hand.
If I were to buy Daytons, they first of all are a U.S. product and source. I
currently have to pay about $1.38 of my money for each U.S. dollar. Then I
have to get them shipped here, clear customs, pay 2 different taxes and
insurance, etc. If there are any problems and anything needs to be returned,
adjusted or serviced, the whole thing then gets really complicated, having
already paid all the above the first time.
I will someday be doing the restoration of a full set of early shallow hub
style 48 spoke Dunlops. I will be sending them to Dayton for this service,
utilizing the original hubs (excellent splines) and having Dayton completely
strip down, relace and paint them. This I will gladly go through to get a
set of correct wheels for my July 13/54 BN1. These will be for show mainly.
The road going wheels will be Dunlop 48 spoke painted, with the normal later
hub configuration.
Rich Chrysler