Re: Healey Ain't No "Girly-Men's" Car

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Healey Ain't No "Girly-Men's" Car
From: "Chris Dimmock" <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 00:48:23 +1000
I remember when we were just about to drive home from Kiama (about 2 hours
south of Sydney) from a concours about 4 years ago. It had been raining all
day - and so for the trip home, I put the roof up on my BJ8.

My daughter (who was about 5 at the time)  just went off! She told everyone
in earshot that her Dad's Healey was just like a Porsche!! Everyone was in
hysterics. I couldn't understand my daughters excitement. Nothing she said
made any sense.

Finally - I understood the issue. A friend of mine has a Porsche
convertible - and mostly - we see it with the roof on. He has, however,
demonstrated how you lower it to - but we mostly see the car with the roof
on.  I had put the roof up on my BJ8 - Rebecca had never ever seen the car
with its roof on.

Anyway - despite the fact that my daughter & I drive my BJ8 almost every
Saturday to my parents place for a sausage sandwich for lunch - and have
since Rebecca was born - Rebecca had NEVER seen our Healey with the roof
on - until that concours when it was pouring rain for the trip home. And
just like a Porsche - it had a roof. Hence the excited outburst!!

My point? Its only 'effective weather protection' if you use it Bill!!!

:).

And even then - its still marginal!!

Chris