Media blast or acid dip?

To: "'Healeys' (E-mail)" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Media blast or acid dip?
From: "Malaney, David W" <DavidWMalaney@eaton.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:55:35 -0400
All - Well, add me to the list of suckers launching into a total restoration.
I was half way into an expensive paint job when I had this epiphany (probably
over too many beers one night) that I would be spending a lot of money on
really nice paint, only to have a not-as-good body and frame, and engine bay,
and everything else.  My friends all agreed: "ya! do it! it's the best way to
go!"  So with that, I told my wife, who looked at me like I am nuts, and then
I told my paint guy, who told me I am nuts - to pause (for a year, or 2, or
.....?) with all of the body panels and the cowls removed, and I now have the
car back in my garage ready to be further and completely disassembled (all of
the recent list talk on nuts and bolts has got me a bit nervous).  I am
seeking opinions on how to best(?) treat the body/frame on my BN7.  Is media
blasting good and sufficient, or should I consider going the acid dip/e-coat
route?  Acid dipping and e-coating is certainly the most expensive option.  I
have a local place that does it.  But, I have noticed that a lot of
restoration pics that I see of Healey's show the bodies having been media
blasted.  If the body structure doesn't have a lot of compartments and hidden
recesses then perhaps media blasting is adequate and certainly can be more
"gentle".  The inside of the frame is a concern.  The acid will get in and
clean out the inside of the frame, where media blasting won't.  Then the
e-coat process will get in and treat all of the "hidden" spots.  And - yes, I
know that acid dipping a body can result in swiss cheese when it comes out the
other side.  Media blasting can do that to a certain extent also I suppose.  I
guess I'm comfortable that my car body/frame is ok, as near as I have been
able to get in there and check it out.  Plus, that's why we have Kilmartin -
if needed.  Am I missing something, or is the choice of treatments more a
matter of money, and/or what's available in your local area?  Thanks for any
thoughts.

Dave M.
61 BN7