Re: Derrington Style Wheel

To: djjob@noos.fr
Subject: Re: Derrington Style Wheel
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:22:56 -0600
Hi Derek,

There are a number of suppliers of Derrington style wheels. The correct
Derrington wheel is an acceptable "period" replacement for the original.
If you don't care about "period correct" get the cheapest thing you can
find.

Let me make a distinction between a correct replacement & one that is
not. The correct wheel has tapered slotted cutouts in the three spokes.
Some incorrect wheels have holes instead. The correct wheel has the
three spokes equally spaced at 120 degrees with one spoke straight up.
Many incorrect wheels have two of the spokes at more than 120 degree
spacing. An example of the correct wheel would be "B" on the following
web page. An incorrect wheel would be "C" on the same page.
http://www.cybercars.com/mnfr/motolita/woodrim.htm

An additional adapter hub is required, & is available for all wheel
conversions. be sure to state whether the hub is for adjustable or fixed
column.

The wheel supplied by Moss Motors is NOT correct. The wheel supplied by
Victoria British IS correct but quite expensive. I'm sure there are
other suppliers of correct wheels. I have heard that Mike Lempert is now
supplying wheels.  mlempert@bellsouth.net
I'm sure others will give you clues on where to get the best deal.

My original wheel was 16" in diameter. The new one is 15" diameter & I
really like the slightly more clearance around the smaller wheel.

Dave Russell
BN2