RE: Noise found, continued

To: <Awgertoo@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Noise found, continued
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:44:47 -0700
Michael:
When I replaced my sump for an aluminum one (BJ8) the car sat over the
weekend waiting on a bolt. I had also taken the pump apart because I had to
shorten the pickup tube to fit the sump.
When I reassembled it wouldn't prime, no oil pressure.
Some listers said I should have packed the pump in vasoline (I think) before
reassembling to create the suction needed to prime the system.
Since the sump was back on at this point, I decided to remove the oil
pressure gauge tube from the engine block and inject oil into the engine
there, about 60cc. That got "some" pressure but with a wildly vibrating
needle. I then disconnected the tube from the back of the oil pressure gauge
and bled it with the engine running. That did the trick.
Ron