Re: Overdrive

To: eugene faust <ejfaust@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive
From: Tracy Drummond <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 06:48:06 -0700
Gene,

You need to be really careful doing so.  If you go in reverse with the
OD engaged you will really break
things in the OD.  Specifically the sprug clutch.  They are NOT designed
to allow reverse to be used.

I recommend re-evaluating your adjustments specifically the throttle
switch which is designed to reduce the lash
during engagement/disengagement.

Also consider the way, and when, you use OD and how your shifting habits
may make the "jolt" more pronounced.

For me I try not to use it to slow down using OD unless I clutch and am
below 2500 RPMs.  Keep in mind that your RPMs will
climb 22% to 28% when disengaging the OD, depending upon which unit you
have.  The more radical the RPMs the
bigger the jolt.  I don't have any jolt when engaging , but can be
considerable when disengaging.

Also consider that you may have worn U-joints or other bits that are
actually causing the jolt.  Many here are more expert than I
but each car is different and each driver different in their perceived
tolerances for noise/shake/jolts.

I did correlation between road roughness and perceived ride quality from
New Mexico to Canada, from California to New York for a
year before college.  What we found is that some one from Wyoming would
consider a gravel road without washboards an
8 out of 10.  Someone from Ontario would rate a paved road with a few
dips a 4 out of 10.

What I am getting at here is have you compared the "jolt" to that of
another similar 100?  Shift gently and avoid OD and reverse.
My car is allot quieter and smoother with the OD engaged also.  But I
admit I like the torque and tweekeyness of third gear on a tight
road. :-)

More info might also help diagnose.

It is more pronounced when engaging or disengaging.
Is it accompanied with any noises, "clunk" "chirp" "tire-spin".
Is the OD rebuild with the uprated accumulator?

Hope this helps.

eugene faust wrote:

>There seems to be significantly less vibration and noise when driving in
>overdrive with my 100M.  However, switching in or out of overdrive gives
>the drive train quite a jolt unless I use the clutch which the owners
>manual says I am not supposed to do.  Lately, I have been leaving it in
>overdrive all the time which seems to work well.
>
>Is there any reason why I should not do that?
>
>Gene

Check out the new British Cars Forum: