Fan Blade Direction

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fan Blade Direction
From: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:18:32 -0500
I thought that I had the fan blades correctly installed with the flat side
toward the radiator, and the curve turning towards the engine.  It appears
that the rotation would pull the air through the radiator with the flat side
leading and the curve on the trailing side of the fan moving the air towards
the motor.

Just to double check my work, I just reread my manual and it states (Section
C.2) "the blades are not flat, but shaped, and the concave or hollow side
should be the leading one, thus, when fitting to an engine the convex or
arched side must always face the radiator.  This convex side is further
easily identified as stiffeners are pressed into the blades, they project on
this convex face."

I think this is saying that the curve in the blade must turn toward the
front of the car. Wouldn't that push air forward?  Aren't the radiators
supposed to have air pulled through them?

But to keep it fun, the picture on the same page of the manual clearly (Fig
C.2) shows the arm on the radiator side of the fan blades.  This is how it
is on my car right now with the curve towards the engine.

Which is right, I have the fan in backwards or am reading the manual wrong
(very possible).  Any guidance.

Patton

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX
'57 A-H 100-Six - http://Austin-Healeys.com