Re: Motor Mount/engine lift?

To: "Scott Willis" <ahpowered@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Motor Mount/engine lift?
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:10:48 -0400
Scott,
I don't know if it is the RIGHT way, (read that as: get some other opinions
too!) ....But I would undo the bolts holding the mounts to the car's frame.
They are easier to get at, and since they are not slotted or adjustable, you
can replace them and not need to worry about realigning the engine.
I know that you can get at them with the exhaust manifolds on, as I installed
the entire mounts on mine before shoehorning the engine, mounts, manifolds,
carbs and trans into my car through the hood opening in the shroud! Once it
was close, I used a big metal spike (you could use a large Phillips
screwdriver) through one of the sets of bolt holes to align the mount to the
frame, allowing me to get the first couple of bolts back in. ...But I was
using an engine hoist, and not a jack! You may have to go at the bolts on the
manifold side from underneath, I don't recall...If you do... Of course be very
sure of your stands, wheel chocks, etc. -And recruiting an extra set of hands
for help and safety might not be a bad idea. It can be done solo, but you
never know.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA