RE: Should I undercoat Healey?

To: "'Brett Bonner'" <bbbonner@fedex.com>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Should I undercoat Healey?
From: Rizzo Steven D LtCol AETC/XPRU <Steven.Rizzo@RANDOLPH.AF.MIL>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:22:54 -0500
I bought my car (1965 BJ8) in California in 1972.  It was a Sacramento car
and had no rust - other than in the engine block as the PO didn't use
antifreeze, but that is another story!  Anyway, car was rust-free.
Eventually transferred to "salt country".  Took the car to a shop for a
minor body repair.  Picked up car and it had been undercoated!  Fella
thought he had done me a favor!!!  As car was never driven in the rain if at
possible, much less snowy, etc. I was really upset.  Still am.  Stuff is
miserable to work around after the standard Healey oil drips get on it it
gets soft and whenever I work under the car I inevitably get tar on my shirt
sleeves, etc.  I have thought about getting it off, but never seem to get
the perseverance factor going enough to do it.  Thankfully, I don't have
concours goals so I guess other than an irritant it hasn't really hurt
anything.  Still upset about it though - but once it is on there it ain't
gonna (how's that for diction?) come off easy - very pervicaceous stuff,
undercoating tar.  Venting frustration is effective therapy, isn't it?

Stever