Re: Engine Lifting Points

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Lifting Points
From: "Dan Harris" <daharris@interlog.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:05:42 -0400
When building my workshop addition I installed a TrusJoist (Weyerhauser)
"Parallam" ridge beam. It was engineered to span 22' and carry a rolling
load of 800 lbs. It is made up of two pieces nailed together with a combined
cross section of 3.5" x 18.75". It seems that you need one hefty beam to
hold such weight.

Dan, '50 BN4

On
> Behalf Of Gary Moomau
> Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 12:16 PM
> To: healeys@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Engine Lifting Points
>
> These are lessons learned.  In the late 80's when I first pulled the
engine
> out of my BJ8, I used a hoist built from the beams of my garage.  When the
> full weight of the engine was on the beams, the beams broke (and yes, I
> reinforced the beams before I started)!  I had to use hydraulic jacks to
the
> support the beams while I reinforced them again.

 . . .

> Gary, "67 BJ8
>
> Yucaipa, CA

Check out the new British Cars Forum: