Leaky hydraulics?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leaky hydraulics?
From: "Esko & Megan Cate" <enmcate@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:52:40 -0700
Listers:

In the last ride, I finally decided that I could no longer delude myself
that the smoke from under the hood was just burning off the newness.  Found
that there is brake fluid dripping from both brake and clutch master
cylinders onto the headers.  The dripping is not massive and the fluid
reservoir is not down much (and inch?).  The car has about 700 miles on it
since we got it running.  I was told that a failing master cylinder should
be leaking on your feet, out the back side on the rod.  That is not the case
here.  Any thoughts?  Is there another source of fluid (oil or?) on that
side which could be the source?  There is no fluid on the line directly
under the reservoir. There is sign of the leaky fluid on the outside wall
under the cylinders, consistent with leaks when driving.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Esko
BJ7

Check out the new British Cars Forum: