Kilmartin Frameset

To: "Healey Lista" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Kilmartin Frameset
From: "John Rued" <rudedoggg@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:43:40 -0500
All,

I have shotgunned images to all who requested them.  It's clogging up my dial
up service, so please be patient.

Ed Kaler has requested that he post them on his website.  Hopefully he has
received them and will post them.  Please note that I am not endorsing
Kilmartin.  My intent for posting frameset images is to spur discusssion of
frame replacement options.

Responding (in general) to (specific) questions:

1.  I have a '53 BN1, not a BN2.  The car has a BN2 drivetrain, though.  It
seemed logical to purchase a BN2 frame rather than modify a BN1 frame to
accomodate some of the BN2 differences.

2.  I chose Kilmartin over Jule for the originality factor.  Both framemakers
have good reputations.  Jule makes a very good, strong frame however there are
some deviations from the original style.  A couple of notes here:  1)  The
Jule frame is complete --to include the superstructure--whereas my Kilmartin
frame will come with motor mounts, shock mounts, etc., but no superstructure;
and 2), since both Canada and Australia share Commonwealth lineage, my money
is still going to support the Empire.

In closing, I'd like to suggest that restorers consider providing a
replacement frame option to potential customers.  Repairing an original frame
may end up being more costly--and possibly less safe--than purchasing a
replacement frame.

John Rued
53 BN1
62 BT7 (II)