update: locking in first

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: update: locking in first
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 06:51:20 -0700
The mechanic removed the small "locking" pin that didn't come with the new
first gear set but the instructions said to install.

The gravel like shift out of first was gone, it was smooth and never locked
in first all the way home.

A huge difference. All I can say is if you get a new first gear through
Moss/Dennis Welch and you don't have that pin already in your first gear
assembly, DON'T BUY ONE AND PUT IT IN.

Since the instructions in the part I supplied told the mechanic to install
it I can't see how it's his fault so I offered to pay him 30% of his
original labor costs and he said that was fair. Even if he had called DW as
I did they would have told him to put it in, see what happens and take it
out if it causes problems. That's nice if you're changing plugs but not
dropping the trans.
Another resto problem solved :-)
Sincerely,

Ron