RE: update: locking in first

To: "Len and/or Marge" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: update: locking in first
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:55:30 -0700
Ron:  So - just what is this 'pin'?  Is it something that shows in the
diagrams in the parts catalogs or is it something unique to the DW gear?
Where does it go and what is it supposed to do?  Inquiring minds want to
know!  ;-)

(The Other) Len
The new first gear assembly came from Moss which comes from Dennis Welch.
Instructions from DW say "if used in a bj8 the hub locking pin should be
transfered from the old unit or new purchased".
Since there was no "old" pin in my car, my mechanic bought one from Moss. It
just drops in, loose fitting, I believe.
I think it is Moss #329-525 since the fist gear assembly was #329-527 both
on page 59 of the latest Moss cat.
Moss calls it a "plunger". Half an inch long, $29 to buy and $400 to remove.
I called DW and they said something to the effect that manufacturing
tolerances may require the use of the pin.
If it causes your particular car to occassionally lock in first, well, then,
remove it. Hope the rest of you learn something here.
Good luck!
Ron
67 BJ8... shifting smooth now....and no longer popping out of second.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: