throttle linkage problem solved

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: throttle linkage problem solved
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:46:05 -0700
OK, I spent Sunday reviewing suggestions from the list, some were right-on
but my friend and I just couldn't read the diagrams we had in spite of (or
because of) each of our 10 years of college.

We had both come to the conclusion that since we could not see any moving
parts when the pedal was lifted back the loose bolt MUST be the ones
somewhere out of sight between the driver and the engine.

I gave up Monday and my mechanic told me to bring it in.  Three miles short
of the shop on a busy tollroad, the nut/bolt finally loosened so much that
lifting the pedal back with my toes failed to sinch it up and I glided to
the righthand shoulder a lame duck.

Even after a smooth flatbed ride to Chris Gough's Costa Mesa Shop an hour
later I was, well, not pleased.
I told Chris that I had it towed in so the engine wouldn't be hot while he
worked on it. I then began my explanations on why I thought the problem was
deep inside non-accessible nether-regions of the car. He smiled.

He jacked the car up and slid under while I played with my pedal at his
command, then slid back out in about a minute saying it was done. DONE! No
charge. As if that would placate me. It turns out that it was Moss part
322-290, Bolt, lever to pedal shaft. It's just below the rear carb near the
exhaust manifold. The nut below and out of sight was loose.
Congratulations to those that guessed right. Your prize is to avoid a tow
like I did yesterday.

Sincerely,
Ron
67 BJ8