100M coil question

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: 100M coil question
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 01:29:37 -0400
I have with some considerable luck come across a vintage Lucas coil from 1954
with the appropriate serial number for the stock 100-4. It is in good working
order, and looks quite exceptional. It is black, and has the serial number
45012D. I read in the Concours Guide that the M's were equipped with a bronze
color 'Sports Coil' but I was wondering if there is any real difference in the
voltage or impedance ratings.

Do garages still have equipment to test coils in this disposable sealed
universe?

I have a new sports coil in place, which looks like a chicadee trapped in a
coal mine. Putting aside aesthetics, it obviously performs well. Would I
suffer any degradation in performance by using a vintage coil? Or is it simply
a question of reliability? We've hidden an MSD6 electronic spark rectifier
under the passenger footbox, and I'm speculating that this unit will
compensate for a somewhat weaker spark. Is that true or should I put the old
coil in the trunk as a souvenir?

Allen Miller.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: