Re: More Fulcrum pins won't budge

To: davidwjones@cox.net, richchrysler@quickclic.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More Fulcrum pins won't budge
From: HealeyBN7@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:00:08 EDT
Yep - it's the inner fulcrum pins that hold the A arms to the  frame.  Over a
couple of glasses of vino at dinner I have  come up with a potentially
ingenious (or totally idiotic) solution.   See what you think of this:  I found
in
my stash of misc bits, a common  electrical "union" (at least that's what I
think it is).  It's  basically a steel cylinder, just over 1/2 inch inside dia
and about 3/4 inch  long (sorry, I'm too old to be metric).  It will just fit
over  the 1/2 inch dia fulcrum pin and clear the body pillar that is in close
proximity.  My intention is to screw the castle nut, or preferably a  thinner
nut, back onto the pin, then insert the "union" onto the pin.  I  will then
unscrew the nut, which will then push against the union, which will  then push
against the body pillar (which by clever English design has a big hole  in the
pillar strategically placed right there, so I will need a plate to cover  it to
support the union on that end), which will then push out the fulcrum  pin.  I
will have basically made a "press" to press out the pin.   Yes?  We'll see
how it goes.  "Only" 4 hours labour over  this on the US "labor day" holiday.
Hopefully the other side will go  a bit easier.  I can hardly wait to start on
the rear springs!  Such  fun!!!  Thanks for your responses guys.

Dave

Check out the new British Cars Forum: