Re: Engine Install

To: "linwood rose" <linwoodrose@mac.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Install
From: "Bill Lawrence" <ynotink@qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 21:32:26 -0700
The last time I did a transmission only, I duped... sorry, recruited
several of my car nut friends and we convinced said component to
practically jump in on its own (all these beefy, somewhat inebriated
guys hanging around with hammers, crow bars and other heavy metal items
must have intimidated the poor thing. Once I get the trans close enough
to start a bolt I usually put a couple in the upper bolt holes. Don't
tighten them too much, but try to make sure the gap stays uniform
around the bell housing. If you need a little forward shove and you
have the bolts set correctly a little down force on the end of the
trans will give a little extra mechanical advantage.

Bill Lawrence

On Sep 6, 2004, at 3:19 PM, linwood rose wrote:

> Thanks to all on the list for responses on my engine install problems.
> I didn't state my strategy for installation of the gearbox correctly.
> I do know that I need to put the tranny in from the top (through the
> interior). What I meant was that I was going to be on my back, under
> it, to install it. I just didn't say that! Sorry.
>
> Has anyone on the list installed the Smitty conversion with the
> assembly complete (engine and tranny) from the top? It won't help me
> to get the tilting device attached to the lift if it just won't fit
> that way.
>
> For those who have done the tranny install AFTER the engine is in, any
> suggestions on which bolts to try to secure first? Or, does it matter?
>
> By the way, do your children, wives and friends who were only trying
> to help eventually speak to you again after you have vented your
> frustration at them rather than the car?
>
> Thanks to all.
>
> Lin
> 1960 BT7 in restoration
> 1959 Bugeye