Re: PCV Valve

To: "James Sailer" <heliskier@direcway.com>,
Subject: Re: PCV Valve
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:21:51 -0700
James,

Don't understand why you plugged the hose coming from the tappet cover.
This should be what vents the crankcase, and I presume you want to relieve
pressure in the crankcase (PCV, after all, stands for "positive crankcase
ventilation").  Sounds like you're only using the PCV to evacuate the valve
cover.

I have a PCV valve on my car and, per instructions from Norm Nock, routed
the same as you but left the tube venting the tappet cover in place.  Same
results, pretty much, though I do think I'm dumping a little less oil out the
rear main.

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net

> Greetings all.
>
> Thought I would pass on some recent efforts to install a PCV valve in my BJ8
> and the outcome and effects.
>
> 1. Installed a 3/8 fitting going into the intake manifold where there was a
> plug (rear of intake.
> 2. Routed one side of the "T" comnnection on top of the valve cover through
> a PCV valve to the new fitting in the intake manifold.
> 3. Plugged the short rubber hose coming from the other side of the "T"
> connection with a rubber stopper (this being the short hose that connects to
> the hard pipe going to the tappet cover breather)
> 4. Ran a long rubber pipe from the "tappet cover breather pipe" to a fitting
> on the air cleaner (to serve as the breather.)
>
> Effects ...
>
> 1. Had hoped to eliminate my oil leak from the front timing cover seal .
> Nope . darn
> 2. Seems to give a 3 to 5 lb oil pressure increase
> 3. brake feel (BJ8 equipped with the booster)  is actually much more
> progressive and nice ..
> 4. Had to richen the mixture a bit...
> 5. Need to fiddle with the choke settings as I think it is too lean starting
> cold.
>
> Am considering changing the direction of air flow through the engine (PCV
> valve to the tappet cover vent versus the valve cover) which I believe would
> take more pressure off the back side of the rings.
>
> Any thoughts from others past experiences welcome.
>
> Jim Sailer
> 66 BJ8

Check out the new British Cars Forum: