Re: Oil pressure problems-looking bad

To: Kenny Johnson <theswed@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Oil pressure problems-looking bad
From: Alan Schultz <alan@andysnet.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:45:36 -0500
Are the shavings steel. Try a magnet to determine. If non-magnetic it
could be bearing material. Did you rebuild the engine or did  someone
else rebuild it? Were the bearings replaced or the crank ground? Were
clearances checked with plastigage? Valve clacking shouldn't change too
much from cold start to operating temperature. Maybe its not the valves
knocking?

Try the new pump and oil pressure valve as a start. Hope that's it.

Alan S
67HBJ8

Kenny Johnson wrote:

> As mentioned before, I experienced a loss of oil pressure when the
> engine warmed up.  It would go from 40 lbs (at 1000 rpm) to zero.  I
> would hear knocking from the valves.
>
> I took off the oil pan today and discovered a small amount of sludge
> and a small amount of metal shavings.  This is the first oil change
> since the engine was overhauled 2 years ago.  There is only about 50
> miles on the motor.  The oil pan had a small leak at the front (near
> the crankshaft pulley) and most of the oil pan bolts were hand tight.
> I have a new oil pump and oil pressure valve on order.  Any other
> suggestions?
>
> Kenny
> 61 BT-7

Check out the new British Cars Forum: