Re: Chrome Experts

To: davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net>, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Chrome Experts
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 00:35:37 -0700 (PDT)
David -

I think you approaching this problem from the wrong
perspective.  Chrome corrosion would be the least of
my worries with an aluminum shroud ($$$)!

If your garage is enclosed, I would highly suggest
installing an electric dehumidifier.  Trust me, this
will go a long way to protecting your car, and
stopping corrosion.  Very little corrosion ever
happens while driving the car, it mostly happens when
sitting in the parking space.

If you don't have an enclosed secure garage, the next
best alternative is to buy something called the "Car
Jacket".  It costs aroun $200 or so.  I use this with
my BJ8 in Hong Kong and since I've been using it, the
corrosion has virtually stopped on my car.  Remember,
Hong Kong is probably over 90% humidity about 300 days
out of the year.  Of course you should only use the
"car jacket" if your car space is covered from the
elements.  The "Car Jacket" is very high quality and
works very well to keep the elements out.

HOpe that helps,

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8

--- davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net> wrote:

> Unfortunately, the storage I have for my 3000 is not
> always without dampness,
> and I have been having a reoccurring problem with
> the chrome.
> Even covered and in the garage, I am periodically
> finding uniform formation of
> small fogged spots that require chrome polish to
> remove. However, after say
> 5-6 weeks they begin to reappear. I have used
> Maguire chrome polish, and have
> tried paste wax, but always the start of corrosion
> reappears after a while.
> I used to use Simichrome and don't recall this
> happening, but haven't had
> Simichrome in a while. I was wondering if this would
> help.
> Does all chrome do this in humid conditions, or is
> the "show chrome" I had
> done suspect?
>  I had heard that all chrome has "pores" and will do
> this if not properly
> protected.... Any thoughts, or suggestions?
> David W. Jones
> '62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
> Cumberland, RI USA

Check out the new British Cars Forum: