Re: Restoration Question

To: STOCKLAND@aol.com, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Restoration Question
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 18:23:36 -0700 (PDT)
Jon -

"On frame" restoration means most of the work was done
without removing major body panels.  You could argue
that an on frame restoration would be more or less the
same as a "fancy paint job" and "new interior."  This
type of restoration is probably best for the average
mechanic who don't really know alot about healeys.

"off frame" or "frame up" restoration typically means
EVERYTHING was taken off the car (i.e. shrouds,
fenders, motor, wiring... etc.), repaired
individually, and then put back on the car.  this
typically is the better way to do a restoration (if
the owner knows what he is doing around healeys, that
is).

"partial frame" or "partial frame up" usually means
most everything was taken off the car except typically
the front and rear shroud.  This often enough is
almost as good as a complete "frame up" restoration
provided the car came from someplace like California,
Arizona or Australia.  If it's from a cold or wet
climate... "partial frame up"  typically won't be as
good as a total "frame up" restoration.  This is what
I did on my BJ8 in California.

Regards,

Alan
'53 BN1 '64 BJ8

PS watch out for rotted rocker panels!

--- STOCKLAND@aol.com wrote:

> I often see where a restoration is "on frame" and
> then describes the details
> and price.  Can someone please describe the various
> types of restoration for
> me please.  I hope this is not too basic a question
> but I am sort of new to
> this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon