Re: water jacket sealing

To: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: water jacket sealing
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 18:36:05 -0700 (PDT)
Allen -

You definitely DO NOT want to pry up or loosen the
head in anyway.  This will very like ruin the copper
gasket and make your leak worse.

I would highly suggest retorquing the head.  I would
also suggest to try running a little anti-leak aluma
seal in the radiator for about 500 miles after
retorquing, then flushing the system and replacing the
coolant.

After all of this, you can also try running a thin
bead of permatex copper silicon sealant along the edge
beside the engine number where it leaks.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8

--- "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
wrote:

> I am about 1100 miles on the 100M after rebuilding
> the top end, and it is now
> bubbling at the right side margin with coolant. We
> haven't retorqued the head,
> and are about due to do it, and I was wondering if
> any of you had
> recommendations about working some sealant in before
> tightening down. Can you
> pry up the head to get some sealer in, or does that
> kill the head gasket? I
> put in a NOS copper/steel 100M gasket, which is only
> one of two I have, and
> I'd like to avoid having to replace it. Any ideas?
>
> Allen Miller BN2M

Check out the new British Cars Forum: