RE: caution on rear sway bar

Subject: RE: caution on rear sway bar
From: "Len and/or Marge" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:14:53 -0700
Greg:  I have the Addco front and rear bars on my BJ8.  The results may be
subjective  but when doing 'hot laps' (not racing) at Sears Point, when it
was Sears Point, it felt like it took the corners flatter and observers
said that my Healey did not seem to lean as much as the other Healeys.

Installation was not problem free.  Although Addco said the rear bar would
fit on a BJ8, the left link came down right in the center of one to the
tailpipes.  I solved this problem by inserting some flex pipe at that
location.  Other installations I have seen just flattened and/or bent the
tail pipe to provide clearance.  The only other problem I've had (twice)
was the linkage went over center when I encountered a serious bump in the
road that caused the car to bottom out.  This locked the rear suspension in
the compressed mode.  I thought I had broken both rear springs.  Solution
was to support the differential, carefully loosen the attachment bolts for
the roll bar, push the linkages back where they belonged, and reinstall the
bolts.  Other than that, I have been happy with the bars.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA
1967 3000 MKIII HBJ8L39031

Check out the new British Cars Forum: