Re: Carb Rebuilders

To: "Blue One Hundred" <international_investor@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Carb Rebuilders
From: "tom felts" <tomfelts@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:24:03 -0400
Sorry Alan-------#2 "Grose jets--throw them away".  "Only when you pry them
out of my cold/dead hands!!":):):)

I think we have had this discussion where it was determined that "some" of
the later Grose jets may have been poorly designed.  If his are the "older"
(don't know how old) ones, they probably are perfectly OK.  Mine eliminated
a frequent problem I had with the original style jets.

Cheers
Tom

<healeys@Autox.Team.Net>; Spridget List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>;
<british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>
> Date: 10/13/04 6:59:34 PM
> Subject: Re: Carb Rebuilders
>
> Patton -
>
> Overflowing fuel in the carbs is typically caused only
> by three things:
>
> 1) Bad Float.  If your carb float in the bowl has a
> hole in it, it will not push with enough force on the
> float jet to shut off the flow of fuel when the bowl
> is empty.  This is easily checked by removing the
> float and seeing if it weighs too much... or if you
> shake it you should hear the fuel inside the float
> itself.  If you hear that... you need a new float!
>
> 2) Bad Float Jet / crud in the system.  If you have
> Grose Jets... throw them away, that's probably your
> problem.  If you are using standard SU float jets,
> take them out and make sure all the holes in the float
> chamber lid are free of dirt and crud. Replace the SU
> float jets with new ones while you are at it.  Use an
> inline fuel filter.
>
> 3) Too much pressure from the fuel pump.  Your fuel
> pump should not have more than about 3 PSI in
> pressure, prefferably 1.5-2 PSI in pressure.  If
> you've replaced the original pump with a FACET pump or
> some other pump, it has to be a low pressure variety.
> If it is high pressure type, it will force the float
> jets open all the time and overflow.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alan
>
> '53 BN1 '64 BJ8
>
> --- Patton Dickson <kpdii@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > OK, I am about ready to throw these _____'ing H4
> > carbs out the window.  I
> > cannot get the front carb to stop overflowing from
> > the nut on top of the
> > float bowl lid.  What's frustrating is that I was
> > planning on talking it to
> > the Houston All British show this coming weekend,
> > and the car is running
> > fine with the exception of the leak.
> >
> > I know that this is an operator problem, and I am
> > not getting something
> > right, so think I need to send these off to a pro
> > before I pull a DPO move.
> > Who have you guys used for rebuilds, especially for
> > SU H series carbs?
> >
> > I miss the Sprite and MGB's HS's, they seemed
> > significantly easier to set
> > up.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Patton