distributor advance mystery

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: distributor advance mystery
From: Warthodson@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:23:22 EDT
Our club meets monthly at a member's shop & we usually try to have a tech
session on some subject. Last month we decided to check & set the timing on a
nicely restored member's BJ7. The car is basically stock, except it does have a
Pertronix installed & triple SU carbs. We first set the static timing at 10
degrees advanced. The car would not idle below about 900 RPM, so we checked the
advance at that speed with a dial-back-to-zero timing light. It was 22 degrees
advanced, with the vacuum advance disconnected. We then checked the full
advance at approx. 3800-4000 RPM. It was 54 degrees. We took it for a short
ride &
confirmed that it was pinging/knocking with that high of an advance. We then
reset the distributor such that the full advance was about 34 degrees. At that
point we ran out of time for further investigation & decided to pick it up
where we left off next month.
The part that does not make any sense to me is that we were getting 44
degrees of mechanical advance (54 total -10 static = 44). I am interested in
suggestions as to why we could be getting that much mechanical advance. What do
you
suggest we check next month?
Thanks,
Gary Hodson