Re: HS4 Jet

To: davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net>, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: HS4 Jet
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:45:56 -0700 (PDT)
David -

It's been a while since I've looked at an HS carb, but
I think they are set up like the HDs and Hs.

If the Jet bearing(located in the carb body) isn't
centered, the jet itself will hang up on the needle in
the dashpot piston.  Pull out the dash pot piston and
if you see some shiny marks on the needle, this is a
good sign that this is happening (although you may not
necessarily have these marks on the needle).

Unfortunately, the best way to center the jet bearing
is to take the carb off the carb and adjust it
manually until you see that the needle isn't
interfering with the jet when you lift the dashpot
piston up and down.  You can see if it is interfering
by looking through the carb body venturi using
sunlight or a bright workbench light.  There is also
an SU Jet Centring tool which works well, but if you
don't want to wait to get one by mail, you can pretty
much eyeball it.

I would suggest getting a short handled ratcheting
gearwrench... with this you can take all three HS4s
off you car in about 10 minutes.

I hope that helps!

Good Luck,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8

--- davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net> wrote:

> .....got the %^*^#@  jet return spring back on
> properly. ---But the jet still
> hangs open slightly when the choke is closed. It is
> not the cabling for the
> choke, and the linkage on the carb is free-turning.
> The jet itself seems to
> hang slightly, preventing it from sliding fully up
> into the carb body.
> Does anyone ever use some kind of lubricant on the
> shaft of the jet? If so,
> would white lithium be best?
> Or does this indicate some other problem /
> misalignment / adjustment ?
>
> David W. Jones
> '62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
> Cumberland, RI USA