Re: leather

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: leather
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 13:35:29 -0500
Dear Gary,
I wrote the following as part of an article that appeared in an article in
Healey Marque. back in 1999:

"The exhaust note is unlike that of any other vehicle. The closest thing to it
that I have heard is the sounds made by an antique mahogany round sterned
Chris-Craft runabout. A childhood friend and I used to refer to it as "the
burble". The carburetors hiss, the fuel pump clicks, the turn buttons jingle.
-Running through the gears, the car makes music!"  ....... "Driving a big
Healey is so full of sights and sounds and smells (the passing environment,
hot oil, a hint of old leather, a whiff of antifreeze vapor on a hot day and
the smell of hot woolen British carpets underfoot)  -So full of sensations,
that the drive itself is challenge and entertainment enough."

I'm sorry to say, that after having restored every centimeter, and replaced
the leather and carpets, one of the things that goes missing in the process is
the smell of age and old wool and leather.  -And to some extent, mental images
of wiry British craftsmen laboring to create the car, get replaced by memories
of restoration, plating shops and the smell of new paint. -A great deal is
gained, but something is also lost.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA