Bigger Tires & Steering Effort

To: "Healey List" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Bigger Tires & Steering Effort
From: "John Soderling" <jsoderling@astound.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 19:15:21 -0800
HI all,
I'm getting close to needing new tires for my Erika the Red.  Since I
purchased the car six years ago, I've had only 165R15 tires on.  I'd like to
purchase new tires that  put a little more rubber on the road but am concerned
about making the steering too heavy.  I consider it a little heavy now even
with the 165R15 tires, except at cruising speed.

So, I'm interested in first hand experience relating to the change in steering
effort, if any, experienced by Healey owners who have changed from either:

  1.. 165R15  to  185/70R15, or
  2.. 165R15  to  195/70R15
And any comments about the fit or other problems with either of the two larger
size tires on big six cylinder Healeys.

Thanks.
Vrooom vrooom,
John