BN2 original color

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: BN2 original color
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:11:10 -0500
I am confronted with growing evidence that the original paint remains under
the second surface of our Healey blue M. As paint delaminates, e.g., in the
louvers of the bonnet, there is a consistent color, and it matches what was
found in very inaccessible spots,e.g., behind the blanking plates of the
steering, behind the shielding on the back side of the firewall, etc, on a car
that wsa never taken down and frame dipped. The current paint documents to the
late 70's restoration (evidenced by a '70's decal from the Austin Healey
Association, a 1984 service sticker and several undisturbed component parts.
If I am right, there is a complete paint layer on the underside of the bonnet,
where almost all of the second paint has sloughed off.

Against the steelier blue of the second coat, the paint has a slightly
greenish cast. I wonder from the paint gurus among you if this is the product
of the medium acquiring a tint from yellowing?

When I straightened out the front apron, the same evidence was there. Orbital
sanding laid bare the red lead, overshot with a brownish black primer and the
original blue. Sanding through eliminated the greenish cast, and reveals a
very light blue.

The dilemma lies in the fact that almost every restored blue Healey I've seen
is darker  than this original paint evidence. While the second coat on our car
produces a similarly light finish to the first coat, it fails to have as much
blue in the tint, and seems a little grayer (I assume by too much aluminum
powder?).

We tried scanning, but that did not work too well, and I was told by the
tehnician that metallics can be a bear to match from scanning information. Any
suggestions? One of the problems I had before was getting a large enough
portable sample to compare, and we gave up after three adjustments to the
paint match suggested by scanning. Perhaps now that I know the bonnet's
underside is almost totally intact and can be abraded down to unoxided paint,
maybe I should try again. Anyone ever get a great scan for blue?

I very much like the R&R Healey Blue, but where we've applied it on the frame,
it is very much too dark. The blue hue is pretty much on the money; it's just
too dark. Is there a way to adjust that? Does anyone know if the R&R match was
to later Healeys? I've heard lore that the earlier metallic blue was a little
different. Is there anyone who confirm that? {One of the hassles of dealing
with R&R was their formula paranoia over being ripped off -- a legitimate
concern, I suppose, but they would not supply a paint card, and you
effectively had to buy on faith}.

Alternately,we had the car a local multi-marque car show recently where
someone had redone a '67 Mustang, and it was spot-on. The owner did not have
the paint shop data handy, so I could not follow up with her. However, I was
wondering if any of you know of Ford paint sources that correctly match
original Ford colors.  I've also seen -- perish the thought -- an '90 F150
pickup with the same beautifully light, but alive blue metallic. Does Ford
sell match colors?

All tips welcome (except the usual "Well, Allen, blue has always been one of
the toughest colors to match"). Do I ...

        scan again and match? (If so, what system paint colors?)

        eye-ball match a Ford color?

        go forward with R&R, and conform the car to the later, but accepted,
blue standard?

        leave it alone (car won't win any shows, but has a pleasant
much-driven patina)

Thanks,
Allen Miller