Re: Overdrive not engaging - I think

To: <rusd@velocitus.net>, "Healey list" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive not engaging - I think
From: "Rick Neves _._" <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:02:38 -0500
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the reply and thanks for sticking with me on this.

I know the relay is befuddled somehow because someone else suggested that I
tap it when it misbehaved and may be it would release, so eventually I tried
that and sure enough it did switch off.

Just to recap, Once the OD engaged it would disengage when shifting out of
third or fourth but switching the dash switch to normal would not stop it from
reengaging when shifted again into third or fourth. If I got it into this
state and then tapped the relay casing it would then click and then stay in
the normal state. (Not shifting to OD when the throttle is depressed and in
third or fourth).

The new problem started after the fuel pump failed and the car sat for a week.
Nothing else was done, accept change the fuel pump.

Now Its still doing the relay thing and I know the lever on the overdrive is
moving and I can even feel the piston on the inside being pushed in. I got a
real good feel for this is when I adjusted it the last time I had it apart.
But physically the overdrive is not engaging. I can confirm that everything
electrical, the solenoid and even the shaft movement is working (Except for
the sticking relay).

I going to investigate the valves about the overdrive pump. I just don't know
if I can do it with the unit on the car. I think I want to enjoy driving it
for a while

Sincerely

Rick Neves
'56 BN-2