Need Answers To Two Concerns - BN2 and BJ8

To: "Healey List" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Need Answers To Two Concerns - BN2 and BJ8
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:48:55 -0600
Hi All, I'm building a BJ8 engine (series 29K) for a non-mechanical
friend.  Got the engine back from the machine shop.  Rod and main
journals didn't need resizing and checked out to be std. diameter spec
and were "round."  Installed new main brg inserts (std) and new thrust
washers (also std) and torqued everything to spec.  Here's the
problem.... the crank turns pretty freely to a point where it gets tough
enough to use a 18" bar thru two bolts in the rear flange.  Once it
breaks past this point, it turns freely again until it hits the same
spot.  Tried it with and without the new thrust washers with same
results.  I've built lots of 6-cyl AH engines as well as lots of 1275's
without having this same apparent problem.  Do I really have a problem??
Is it time to go back to the machine shop??  Will this eventually "bed
in?"  I'd love some feedback from the awesome knowledge of this list.

Next, my neighbor is restoring his 100-4 (BN2) and desperately needs a
grille surround in very good-to-excellent condition.  They seem to be
unavailable new from the usual popular sources.  Anyone have such a
thing for sale??  Please help out if you can.  Many thanks,

Jack