Re: Pot Metal Repairs (was 'Monkey Metal')

To: "Alan" <Alan@nfahc.co.uk>, "Healey List" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Pot Metal Repairs (was 'Monkey Metal')
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 17:04:00 -0500
Hello all,
The chroming shop I use (Cambridge Custom Chrome in Cambridge, Ontario,
Canada) specializes in the labour intensive repairing of the pits in pot
metal. Aparently under every raised blemish in the pot metal is a small
crater of decay that must be drilled out, then filled. They use silver
solder for this filling process. Then the usual triple chrome plating
process completes the job.
This can be quite costly so if one has the choice for instance of buying
new, vs. repairing, it's usually more cost effective to buy new. However,
when there isn't a replacement available such as the early BN4 locking
handles, there isn't any choice but to repair.
BTW, in working with the owner of Cambridge Chrome we have come up with the
correct curvature for the rear bumper on the Hundred. I just picked up the
completed trial bumper today and it's the perfect shape, following the arc
of the rear of the body and finishing off correctly at the ends.
Rich Chrysler