Re: Piston set for BJ8 - Recommendations?

To: JJSandSMS@cs.com, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Piston set for BJ8 - Recommendations?
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:56:43 -0800 (PST)
Jeff -

It depends on what you are looking for.  General rule
of thumb is to have your cylinders mic'd and have the
machine shop tell you what size overbore to get.

For normal use, the five ring pistons with oil skirt
at the bottom are the best, your car will burn little
oil with this set up, and contrary to (somewhat
erroneous) popular belief, whether you use a three
ring, four ring or five ring piston there will be
little difference in cylinder bore wear, but 5 rings
will definitely do better with respect to not burning
oil over the life of the engine.  Shorter 3-4 ring
pistons are more suitable for racing engines.

If possible, get low compression pistons for your BJ8,
this will not result in any major change in
performance, but will get rid of the annoying running
on and deisling which all 3000s have with the modern
low octane fuel that's available.  I think the
compression ratios for these pistons are around 8.6 to
1.  I think AEP/Hepolite makes them.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8