Fw: Healey 100 Cam Specs

To: "HoYo" <hoyo@bellsouth.net>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fw: Healey 100 Cam Specs
From: "HoYo" <hoyo@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 18:34:14 -0600
Hello,
 One of the few , now many ,missing A/H books in the 'Li-berry', does this
 book also contain the notorious 'MM' model story from the November
1957(good
 yr. for cars and people!) Sports Cars Illustrated article titled,"21 More
 Horses for the Healey" , as advertised on the cover?? it has resided on my
 desk for yrs.It covers the separate manifold,ram effect,c.chamber
 mods,larger valves,larger carbs,....says it's the same as the 'Bonneville
 head' , less 1 carb(note to 'So Al' special!) and a  slight reduction in
 compression ratio.and a few other twweeks......lots of ads for aftermarket
 Healey hard tops but my favorite page in the mag is the ad inside the rear
 cover by Castrol.
                                             just ramblin',
                                                             HoYo

 Others have answered you about this but here goes more.  There is a really
 good article in the Austin-Healey 100 & 100/6 Gold Portfolio 1952-1959
 compiled by R.M. Clarke.  It was first published August 1956 in Sports Cars
 Illustrated, titled More Horses for the Healey.  A Ken Swanson of
 Consolidated Motors of Long Beach, CA did the work written about.
 The valve lifters were Buick part #GM 1393910 and Buick pushrod part
 #GM1310479, doesn't say whether V8 or Straight 8 (I should know). Also
 didn't say what year Buick.  It goes on to tell what else he used, 1953
Olds
 valve springs, high compression pistons by Merryman Ehgineering, a Plymouth
 clutch disk 1940-1952, 270 degree reground camshaft-stock lift, and on
 offset key for the crankshaft to resolve "tendency to be hypercritical in
 regard to ignition timing".  There were a few more things he did to the
 engine but you get the idea.

 Jerry