Re: measuring toe-in - John Miller's write up

To: Lyle Matson <medlabinc@msn.com>,
Subject: Re: measuring toe-in - John Miller's write up
From: Dean Caccavo <healeybn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:35:45 -0800 (PST)
John Miller wrote this a few months ago and I followed
his technique with positive results. Takes about 10-15
minutes.  You will need two people and a contractor's
square to transfer the laser marks near the tire to
the floor.  If you have a clear back wall (I had nice
white cabinets) you can just back the car 10ft way
from the wall and use tape to mark the dots.

"Lots of ways to skin that cat, but one of my
favorites these days would
be to
get the cheapest laser pointer you can find, and mount
it to a rigid
piece of
metal or wood that will just bridge the diameter of
the rim (and still
not
touch the tire.)  Oh, and the laser pointer-to-wheel
adapter will need
to be
deep enough for a cutout that clears the hub and
spinner.

Then, you just project dots front and rear, mark them,
and do the math.
If
you separate the front and rear projection surfaces by
10x the *tire*
(not
rim) diameter, the difference between the spacing of
the dots in front
and
back is 10x the toe in or out.

Dean BN7