RE: Toe-in measurement

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Toe-in measurement
From: <gschwind@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 22:13:24 +0000
Hi, Listers,
    My father showed me a simple way to start a toe measurement on his '36
Ford. With the wheels jacked up off of the ground, mark each tire by rotating
it while in contact with a nail or other pointed object. There is enough dirt
on the tire to leave a mark for 360 deg. This negates the effect of untrue
wheels, etc. Put the car back down, roll it back and forth 6 feet or so several
times, and "bounce" it by pushing down on the front fenders and releasing it.
Then roll it forward on psuedo skid plates made from two sheets of plastic with
a lot of chassis grease between them and lightly "bounce" it again. This gets
the suspension friction balanced to the neutral condition. Using a tramel,
measure the distance between the marks at the front then rear of the tire and
the difference between them is the toe measurement. My tramel was a length of
aluminum tubing with one fixed point, and one sliding point. It worked for me,
as it was 7/8 in. toe-in!
Don    BJ8    Pandora