RE: Bang! and then nothing

To: "'Brent Barnes'" <brentbarnes309@yahoo.com>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Bang! and then nothing
From: "Jim LeBlanc" <jleblanc@midsouth.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:46:23 -0600
In the past I have had two similar experiences.

The first and I doubt this happened was that the clutch gave out with a big
bang. This happened at speed, about 65 MPH. Bad timing on my part as I was
being passed by Jay Leno in his monster V-12 Rolls with the non-stock
Rolls-Merlin engine. Problem was caused by an incorrectly adjusted clutch
(easy to get it wrong on the 100-4's). The pressure arm cut a hole around
the clutch as the arm was going too far into the cover and cut a hole around
the pressure plate cover.

The second loud bang happens regularly in smaller British 4 cylinder cars.

It is an ugly moment when the crank breaks, with a bang, and it seems this
only happens at speed. But it is unusual to the big 6's to break a crank.

My first set of diagnoses would be to take out the plugs and crank the
engine checking for:

- some oil pressure
- distributor shaft rotation
- movement of the valve train