Re: Manifold casting plug

To: Mark and Kathy <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Manifold casting plug
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:35:39 -0800 (PST)
Mark -

If you go to CarQuest or Napa, you should be able to
get a replacement plug which can be bolted in place.

They used to sell an old fashioned expansion plug
(sometimes called an adjustable freeze plug) which was
basically two concave copper plugs facing each other
with a bolt fixing the two together.  As you tightened
the cap nut on the bolt, it squeezes the two concave
pieces together spreading them apart and forcing them
to fit in the casting hole.  This is what I used to
fix my manifold plug when it popped out about 10 years
ago.  With this little device I didn't need to remove
the manifold to fix the plug.

I'm sure someone somewhere still makes this style of
expansion plug.  You can see what they look like here

http://www.studebakerclubs.com/stelfordsinc/Pages/Studebaker01Engine.htm

Scroll about 9/10ths the way down the page and you'll
see two different types.  The first one is the type
you'll be looking for.

Don't use rubber ones because they can't handle the
heat on the manifold.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8