Merry Christmas from OZ

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Merry Christmas from OZ
From: "Peter Linn" <greylinn@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 18:55:03 +1000
Merry Christmas to all our Western/Northern hemisphere Healey brothers &
sisters. We've just finished our traditional Christmas lunch - oysters,
prawns, crab curry, mangoes, watermelon, XXXX beer and Aussie wine. It's been
around 30C today, humid & overcast. I've done the right thing and kept away
from the job awaiting me in the shed -  rear wheel bearing replacement BN1 5
stud axle).

So here's the question: when I took out the old oil seal, the "back" (closed,
flat) side of the seal was towards the bearing, ie the open, lip side was
facing toward the car. At first, this didn't look right to me, and the
illustration on pG/3 (BN2 supplement) of the WSM appears to show it the other
way round. The text isn't much help, saying that it should be inserted with
"... the edge of the sealing ring facing inwards". Inwards relative to what?
Jim Werner's article also seems to suggest that the seal goes in "back" first
- as he says "you will be tapping on the thin sheet metal edge rather than
hammering on the back" So, which way should the oil seal be pressed into the
hub? Open side towards the bearing, or closed (back) side towards the bearing?
Your advice appreciated as I'd like to get the car back together tomorrow.

Cheers

Peter Linn
Brisbane
BN1 Ward Spl coupe