Re Shimmy @ 55

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re Shimmy @ 55
From: DrBerkowitz@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:52:48 EST
I had a terrible shimmy @ 55 until one fine day when my right rear tire
exploded.  The tire had been on the car for about 8-10 years and the shimmy
was
there for all that time.  The tires were Michelin radials and were  inspected
many times over there life. Since they were new I assumed that  the problem
originated else ware so I changed the wire spoke wheels and  spindles, as well
as
the entire front suspension including the wheel  bearings. I also inspected
the entire frame for defects when the car was  being restored. Nothing helped
so I figured that the skuttle shake was here  to stay. After the tire explosion
 (incidentally only the tire blew not the  tube) I replaced it with the spare
which is not a particularly high quality  tire.  Guess what the car no long
shakes.  I have now replaced my  Michelins with a set of Cooper tires and have
almost zero skuttle  shake.