Notes on Gluing upholstery

To: "Healey list" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Notes on Gluing upholstery
From: "Rick Neves" <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:01:48 -0500
When gluing upholstery or carpeting for that matter, use at least three
coats of spray or paint on adhesive and let each coat dry before applying
the next. I used 3M 08090 super trim adhesive. Apply glue to both sides.
Basically you will be gluing to the glue!

As far as the seat backs go. I glued a 1/4" thick foam to the back of the
metal seat. This was cut to fit up to the outer edge of the seat back but
not under the tack strip. trim it just above the tack strip. There are a
couple of layers of foam used on the front side. One layer is molded and the
other is a softer 1/2" layer that fits the outer panel (Not the stitched
area). The seat cover was not glued to the back but only on the front in the
center around the periphery of the inner stitchings. Make sure to glue the
outside edge of the seam allowance.

Again use three coats and it will stick!

Sincerely

Rick Neves
'56 BN-2

_._