RE: What gage steel to patch frame and need to hire welder

To: "'Lisa and Mark'" <bugtop@comcast.net>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: What gage steel to patch frame and need to hire welder
From: "Michael Salter" <michaelsalter@rogers.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:48:58 -0500
Hi Mark,
I seem to remember that the original material is 16 gauge...But, if you are
welding pieces into the frame be VERY careful of bending. As your repair
cools it will shrink and in so doing bend the frame an unbelievable amount.
When you re install the doors you will probably find that you have a huge
door gap. ( Don't ask me how I know).
You really need to mount the frame in a jig of some kind before welding to
preserve the dimensions.
I know people get away with it, but I have not had that kind of luck.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com