Re: Upholstery Question

To: "Ronald J Huseman" <ronhuseman@sbcglobal.net>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Upholstery Question
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:17:59 -0500
Hi Ron,
I will bite my tongue re your choice of vendor in getting these trim
products and will move right along into your question.
The centre depressed door panel for the BJ7 was an aluminum panel with the
door and window handle holes stamped out appropriately. There should be a
roughly horizontal line about 2/3 the way down the panel where the pressing
is not flat but changes direction slightly, creating a bit of an angled "map
pocket" in the recess of the door.
This aluminum panel must be covered with vinyl matching the main door panel.
It should have 4 horizontal rows of where the vinyl is gathered and and
stitched. A thin layer of coachwadding or thin foam (1/8") to give this
panel slight loft should be added inside this aluminum panel prior to
installing the stitched vinyl piece.
An excellent picture of an original door can be seen on page 70 of Graham
Robson's book "The Big Healeys" (ISBN 0 900549 56 6) Here indeed, a picture
is worth a thousand words.
Note also that on a BJ7 the inboard top of door edging piece, and the dash
top capping piece should be same colour as the rest of the interior whereas
with the BJ8 these were always black.
Hope this helps.
Rich Chrysler