Better Living Through Chemistry--undercoating removal

To: Healeys <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Better Living Through Chemistry--undercoating removal
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:14:47 -0800
I'm in the process of prepping my rear-axle area for painting and have used
several removal products I'd like to comment on: Eastwood's UnderGone
undercoat remover, Gumout Carb Cleaner and CRC BraKleen brake parts cleaner.

I have 2 kinds of undercoating--a black spray-on one in the rear fender
wells and  what looks like a factory-applied undercoating, a daubed-on
tarlike substance _under_ the paint on the non-frame sheetmetal from the
rear shelf back to the floor of the trunk and on the sides of the little
wells adjacent to the rear of the leaf springs. When I scrape this latter
off, it is clearly applied to the bare metal in these areas, where the
spray-on is over the paint in the wheelwells.

For both kinds, UnderGone seems to loosen the bond between undercoating and
the paint or metal under it and makes chipping it off much easier, but still
fairly arduous. I used a 1" wide wood chisel to chip it off and a wire brush
buffing wheel on the bits..

The carb cleaner and brake cleaner work pretty similarly but the brake
cleaner is definitely the nastiest--almost like instant spray on paint
remover. It would instantly dissolve the undercoating, which would more or
less instantly re-solidify in a new position. It turned the old Colorado Red
paint on the frame into a chalky brown, but is invaluable for getting grease
crud out of crevices. It'll instantly ruin any paint it gets on.

Summary--the carb cleaner isn't as effective but doesn't ruin the paint as
fast.

--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA