question: straightness of front fender and door???

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: question: straightness of front fender and door???
From: dicksonr@uwm.edu
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:01:18 -0600
Having mounted my front shroud and fenders I'm working on the doors.  My front
fender/door gaps are FINALLY good.  The current problem that I'm having is
regarding the flatness or straightness of the lower portion of the front fender
with the lower portion of the door.  The right side of the car looks good when I
lay a straight edge across the fender/door, but I'm having a hard time with the
left side as far as this flatness goes. Shouldn't one be able to look down the
side of the car and follow a smooth transition between the fender and the door?
 My left side door would need to come out almost 1 1/2 inches at the back for
this to happen.  Of course any little bit off at the front just gets magnified
by the time it gets to the back of the door.

I think that perhaps my fender is too high where it butts up to the hinge panel.
 The hinge panels are original and were not at all rusted.  However, both sills
were replaced as were the floors.  The outriggers on this side were not
touched, nor were the footboxes. Is there a way to make the fender closer to
the center of the car to reduce this "hump" at the fender/door intersection?  I
can't go off of the rear striker panel or rear fender as those have been
totally removed from the car due to excessive rust and new ones are just tacked
into their approximate positions.  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks in advance!!

Randy Dickson
Healey Archaaeologist
63 BJ-7