Fuel Pump Rebuild

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Pump Rebuild
From: "Mark Goodman" <mkgoodman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:23:26 -0500
I received my rebuilt SU FUEL PUMP back today from Dave DuBois, and I am
really impressed with the condition and especially the workmanship on the
modification.  I rebuilt the original SU Fuel Pump that came with the car
and converted it to a Transistorized Negative Ground unit that worked fine
for 2 years.  Because there was no longer any current flowing thru the
contacts, they became dirty and the pump quit working.  I cleaned the points
and it worked again for a short while.  I sent a spare non functioning unit
to Dave for rebuilding and received what I consider the best modification
that could be done for a bad original design.  Dave came up with a
magnet/encapsulated reed switch that should totally eliminate the dirty
contact problem as the "points" are hermetically sealed in glass.  I have
been using a Facet pump as the primary pump in series with the original SU
Pump to eliminate any problems on long trips. I still will use the two Pumps
in series, but the SU will be the primary and the Facet will be the backup.
I highly recommend Dave's work for anyone who has a problem with their
"Exposed Contact" design SU Pump.  No financial interest, just impressed
with a great modification and great workmanship.

Mark Goodman