Re: Works Healeys

To: Rick Neville <healeyrick@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Works Healeys
From: Peter Dzwig <pdzwig@summaventures.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:38:30 +0000
Rick Neville wrote:

> This morning's installment of Legends of Motorsports
> on SpeedTV featured the '63 Alpine Rally.  Lots of
> shots of the Morley Brothers and Timo Makinnen in the
> Alps.  Sometimes in this series you can tell the
> sounds of the engines have been dubbed in, but there
> was no mistaking the roar of the works cars climbing
> the Alps in today's episode.  I checked the listings
> for a replay, but none coming up soon.  However, I
> spotted these two:  62 Alpine Rally, Monday 3/11 7:00
> a.m EST and Moutain Legend, 3/1, 7:00 am EST.  If
> you've never seen Mountain Legend, it's a must-see of
> the Targa Florio from a works Healey.  Set your TiVos
>
> On a similar note, some nice period Healey Rally Cars
> pics here:
>
> http://www.smithmaps.fsnet.co.uk/alpinerallytext.htm
>
> Happy Healeying,
> Rick

I should add that there are some great photos of each of the Alpine Rallies,
many taken of the various Healeys at the same point on each stage in:

"Les Healey dans les Alpes"
Rallye Internationale des Alpes - Coupe des Alpes 1947-1967
Tome 2
Editions Barthelemy, Paris 2001

Although originally in French, it has a parallel text by David Waldron and is
very intetesting reading for Healey enthusiasts - if not actually great
literature. It is probably the most complete widely available record of the
Healeys in the Alpine Rally.

Peter Dzwig

PS I know it says "Tome 2" (ie "Volume 2"), there isn't a Volume 1 as far as I
am able to ascertain, but the author has also written the companion "Les Healey
au Mans - Tome 1 1949 - 1970" ("Healeys at Le Mans - Volume 1")...